Below is the 2023 “Strategy for Entrepreneurs” course schedule.
- Week 1: Introduction to SFE I
September 7What makes a startup idea promising?
- Week 2: Introduction to SFE II
September 14Simplisafe with guest Eleanor Laurans
MISSING VALUE: STRATEGY AS THEORY AND EVIDENCE
- Week 3: Theorizing what the market has missed
September 20Building your startup theory and starting your SFE memo.
September 22mPharma and Startups as Theories
- Week 4: Testing if the market missed
- 📝 SFE Memo Draft 1: Complete the first draft by midnight 9/26.
September 28Proactive For Her and Testing Strategy
- 📝 SFE Feedback 1: Complete online peer feedback by class on 9/29.
September 29Strategy Feedback Workshop #1
MEASURING VALUE: THE STARTUP ECONOMICS OF EXPERIMENTATION
- Week 5: Experimentation and startup economics
October 5Performance Indicator
- Week 6: False positives, false negatives, and financial performance
October 11Washio with guest Jordan Metzner
TESTING VALUE: GENERATING NEW SIGNALS
- Week 7: Gathering data
October 18[No Class session] Go Experiment!
October 19[No Class session] Go Experiment!
October 20[No Class session] Go Experiment!
- Week 8: Are the signals you gathered informative? Do they influence others?
- 📝 SFE Memo Draft 2: Add experiment results to your memo by midnight 10/22.
- 📝 SFE Feedback 2: Complete online peer feedback by class on 10/26.
October 26Strategy Feedback Workshop #2
October 27The Bessemer Memos
DISCOVERING VALUE: HOW FOUNDERS LEARN
- Week 9: The Wandering Entrepreneur
November 2Rheaply with guest Garry Cooper
November 3📝 Individual progress feedback with the Professor (11/3-11/17).
- Week 10: Changes in the Cost of Experimentation
November 8Foodology with guests Daniela Izquierdo and Juan Guillermo Azuero
November 9📝 Individual progress feedback with the Professor (11/3-11/17).
- Week 11: Testing When You Can’t Experiment
November 16HeyJane with guests Kiki Freedman and Gabriela Santana Goldstein
November 17📝 Individual progress feedback with the Professor (11/3-11/17).
- Week 13: No Class
- 🦃🦃🦃 Thanksgiving Break 🦃🦃🦃
- Week 14: Meet with students and structure project time.
- 📝 SFE Memo Draft 3: Updated memo & deck draft by midnight on Monday, 11/27.
- 📝 SFE Feedback 3: Complete online peer feedback by class on Thursday, 11/30.
November 29Final Project Office Hours (Optional)
November 30Strategy Feedback Workshop #3
December 1Compass Pathways w/ Prof. Tiona Zuzul (TBC)
Week 15: “Demo” week
- 📝 SFE Memo & Deck 4: Your final memo & 5-slide deck are due by midnight 12/5.
December 6Course Wrap + Final Presentations I
December 7Course Wrap + Final Presentations II